1.27.2010

01.27.10 - Annie (and then some).

I had to skip today. Was set to go tonight despite the soreness from Monday that is still lingering in my arms and torso, almost worse than yesterday. This was a real traveling, surprise-locations kind of soreness, reminiscent of some of my WODs early on.

I read the workout. Annie. Lots of jumping rope for me with the singles, and wow can I even do sit-ups today? But okay. The row? Do-able but not at a record pace after all that comes before it, like.... Man-maker – ? – that sounds like maybe one of those get up off the floor with a kettlebell or a sort of barbell routine. Undeterred but curious, I looked it up. The Man-maker.

I tried to find or figure a way this could be scaled, because 30 push-ups or burpees would be hard enough with the way I'm feeling. ONE of these exercises includes: burpee, 3 pushups, single arm row on either side, a squat clean, and a push press.* Thirty Times? I have to admit defeat before I even began. If that makes me a sissy, so be it.

Which begs the question I've been bothered with all day. Is it better to go and have a weak, poorly formed and executed workout just to log the day? Or to take the time I feel my body is telling me it needs to recover, so when I go back I have the strength I need for a solid workout?

We go back and forth, ranging from YES you should rest if you need it, to comparing how we feel with the contestants on The Biggest Loser, working out 8 hours a day, everyday.

For some perspective, I just tried to do ONE Man-maker (unweighted!) in my living room. I seriously could barely do the push-ups, let alone getting the full range of motion. I tried it again, dropping to knees push-ups and knees rows. Is this a proper scale? Regardless it still felt incredibly difficult to do just the one.

Tomorrow is another day... and I have Dinner Club. Will still try and squeeze it in even if it kills me.

*I think this guy is actually doing it wrong, like his feet are supposed to be between the barbells on the clean/push press.

1 comment:

Hillary's Brook said...

This is an AWFUL lot to post on a workout I didn't even do. I get the irony. But clearly have a lot going on in my head about what I'm doing. Or not doing as the case may be.