5.16.2011

05.14.11 - ABTA 5k

Saturday Marcia and I ran the American Brain Tumor Association's Path to Progress 5k. I didn't do so hot and I'd like to blame the weather. These were not my personal optimal conditions. I am definitely NOT a runner (at all!) and in fact this was the furthest distance I've run since about this time last year (when I was in way better shape). Compared to running in t-shirts and shorts a year ago, I had on a t-shirt, thermal, and a fleece. The wind was intense. It was freezing cold and damp, though luckily not raining. I didn't really warm up and I felt heavy and lethargic the entire time.

Besides having to stop to re-tie BOTH shoes, I did run the whole time, which was a goal for me. But I was about two minutes slower than last year. I recovered pretty quickly upon finishing, but strained something behind my right knee, and left ankle. Not bad but uncomfortable for a couple days. My hips also bothered me a little more, and believe it or not, so did my shoulders, as they bounced along for 30+ minutes, still sore from Wednesday's bench pressing. But, I did it, and that's what counts.

Time: 34:06 (10:59/mile - under 11 minutes! Yay!)

Marcia beat me by over a minute at 33:03. Nice Marsh!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

the only reason i beat you was the tail wind we picked up after making the turn. who would have thought we'd be running in fleeces in the middle of may? despite the cruddy weather i had great time - thanks buddy!!